Fresh spaces opening every week
The biggest portion of the New Academic Street project, which will see 16,000 square metres of new space and 2800 student seats opening up on the City campus between February and April, is steaming ahead and the new spaces look great! Over coming weeks more and more NAS spaces will be handed over to RMIT and we’ll be hosting all sorts of fun activation events for staff and students to #DiscoverNAS.
Spaces opened as at Monday 20 February:
- Academic Street (running North-South through Building 10, 12 & 14 on level 4) with the Campus Store trading, RUSU Central & Compass Drop-In opening during the week and Job Shop opening on Monday 27 February.
- The IDS and informal seating area is also open. While new food & beverage outlets are still being fitted out, check out the reflective black Barrisol ceiling in the Retail Market area which is taking student hangout space to a new level.
- The new Swanston Street entry into Building 12, with its wide stairs and an escalator straight up to level 4, is a great example of how porous the new-look campus will be.
- RMIT Connect on level 4 is getting ready to start operating and the escalator leads up to new student spaces in Building 10 and 12 on levels 5 and 6.
- The Experience Design Centre (XDC) is operating.
- The Peter Corrigan designed Swanston Library on level 5 has also been refurbished with new shelving, joinery and shared work benches overlooking Swanston Street.