Regular updates and announcements about construction works, project deliveries and potential staff and student impacts.
NAS – Stage 2 Hand back starts now!
New NAS spaces start opening from early February with the Experience Design Centre and the distinctive Hall space that will house RMIT Connect being handed back in week 1 of February.
This phased hand back, from February until mid-April, will ensure critical spaces are open as students return to the City campus for the start of the 2017 Academic year.
1st Stage 2 handover hurdle reached
This week the Hall space, which will house RMIT Connect and the adjacent Experience Design Centre (XDC) opened. It’s not ‘up and running’ just yet – AV has yet to be commissioned and RMIT Connect is yet to move in – but wander through and get a sense of how this entire precinct is going to feel as it opens up.
With the Stage 2 handover in full swing the focus in 10, 12 and 14 is on internal fit out and the remaining works on the Swanston and Franklin Street balconies. The hoarding line has changed so Lendlease is currently installing acoustic hoarding across the precinct and this will reduce noise and dust impacts as the precinct footprint changes.
1. The Hall housing RMIT Connect (Building 10 level 4); Experience Design Centre(Building 8, level 4); new DDA lift (Building 12) COMPLETE 02 FEBRUARY 2017
2. 70% of the Media Precinct
(Building 12 & 14, levels 2 & 3); Student Spaces (RUSU Central;Compass Drop In Job Shop) and 20% of retail spaces; 50% of Library spaces on level 5 & 6 and Student Portals (Building 10, level 7 & 8)
3. Rest of Library level 5
4. Rest of Media Precinct; rest of Student Spaces on level 4; rest of library including external terraces
5. Swanston Street Balconies; Atrium light well (Building 10)
Information about the phased hand back is available via:
- An Interactive Map on the NAS website (go to the Opening Dates tab)
- Access maps showing what’s opening that will be handed out, and
- Wayfinding signage on the hoarding.
At the end of April there will be 13,000 square metres of new space and more than 2800 student seats available across the new Media Precinct, the Hall and RMIT Connect, the new Library in Buildings 10 and 12 levels 5 and 6 and in Building 8 on level 5, the Retail Food Market and in Bowen Street.
Stage 2 is the largest phase of the project, completely re-constructing five levels, and constructing two new buildings. The third and final stage of the NAS project will be completed by mid-2017.
NAS Access Changes
Current Access pathways through and around the NAS Construction zone:
- Building 14 Swanston Street entry opening for wheelchair and mobility impaired access only. The lift takes you to level 4 where you can transfer to the main Building 14 lifts for access to levels 4 and above.
- Building 12 entry stairway leading to the Building 12 lift on level 4 to access the levels above.
- Building 10 Bowen Street entry access through the pathway to the new RMIT Connect area and across to Building 10 lifts.
- Building 10 entry stairs to level 4 lift to access the levels above. Building 10 levels 3 and 5 are closed.
- Building 8 stairway entry is closed until mid-2017
- Building 8 Swanston Street entry is open with lift access to levels 6 and above.
- Building 8 Bowen Street entry is open with access to escalators from level 4 and above. Level 5 is temporarily closed, go to level 6 to access Swanston Street Library.
- Building 8, level 9 walkway to Building 10 stays open.
View maps here.
- Download the Access Changes guide
Mobility Impaired Access
The Building 14, Swanston Street entry will re-open for mobility impaired access. The new lift will terminate at level 4. Access to Building 10, 12 and 14 via the lifts and Building 8 can be accessed via the level 9 walkway.
After 9pm to enter/exit Buildings 10, 12, 14 and 8 – use Building 8. Staff working in Buildings 10, 12 and 14 can access Building 8 via the walkway on level 9.
Click through to the detailed list to work out which scenario applies to you.
RMIT Connect has been re-located to Building 28, level 3 on La Trobe Street. It will move back into the NAS precinct gradually during February and March.
Heavy demolition is scheduled for levels 2, 3 & 4 from mid-February to early-March. Lendlease are installing extra acoustic hoarding and will seal risers to reduce vertical noise transference. We are assessing classes, investigating relocation options, planning mitigation strategies and communication strategies to ensure noise impacts are kept to a minimum.
The previous Library entrance in Building 8 level 5 closed at the end of 2016. Level 5 will be refurbished over the holiday period, re-opening early 2017. The Library entry is currently on level 6, which will stay open over the break. Check the Library opening hours here.
City Fitness has relocated to the Melbourne Baths. From Monday 21 November members can use the Melbourne Baths with their City Fitness membership. Personal training sessions will be held in Building 13 level 1, room 2. The Gym will re-open in early 2017.
Hoarding has been established three metres from the front of Building 8 and a gateway will be installed to allow construction vehicles to enter and exit. Traffic spotters will be managing safe pedestrian and traffic movement. These measures will be in place until mid-2017, when the NAS works are completed.
NAS and other construction vehicles are using Rodda Lane for after-hours access to Building 8 construction works. Traffic barriers and spotters will be used to ensure the area is safely managed.
Lifts Buildings 8, 10, 12
- Building 10 Lifts still operating between levels 4 – 13, no access to levels 3 and 5.
- Building 12 Lifts operating business as usual.
- Building 8 Lifts operating business as usual, except for levels 2 and 5.
2017 NAS calendar
To help staff plan meetings and events around construction dates we have created the 2017 New Academic Street calendar, which lists important construction dates such as RDOs, site shut downs and holidays, as well as important RMIT dates.
Download the 2017 RDO calendar (pdf, 133kb)
Proactive issues management
We have been proactively advising academic staff when out-of-hours works may impact on classes. Working with timetabling, we are moving classes that can be moved.
If you are teaching in spaces close to the construction zone, expect to receive notifications via your School Manager. In the event construction noise is too loud, call HR Assist on 9925 0600 (during hours) or Security on 9925 3895 (out of hours) and a representative will come and monitor the noise to see if it is outside of the acceptable thresholds or possibly move your class to a space in Building 51 set aside for this specific purpose.
Building 10, 12 and 14 cleaning
Extra cleaners have been engaged to clean the foyers and stairs of the three buildings.
Incident Reporting Process
The New Academic Street project may cause temporary impacts to staff and students at RMIT’s City campus. This video steps you through the reality of how impacts will be managed and who staff need to contact if an issue arises.